Rhetorical Analysis

Rhetorical Analysis

Rhetorical analysis is a reader’s analysis of a piece of writing. The reader analyzes the way the author writes and the author’ specialties such as if the write about kids’ stories or they talk about suspense/thriller for adults, and the author’s qualifications such as the amount of education and the place of education etc. The reader also analyses what is the message the author is trying to convey in the writing and who would be interested in that kind of message.

What I analyzed is the Apartment Therapy’s article “Meaningful Minimalism on the Upper West Side” and Andrea Beaty’s book “Iggy Peck Architect”. The house tour is about a married couple who lives in Manhattan on the Upper West Side. They designed their house the way it stands out to them. “Iggy Peck Architect” is a story about a young kid who is very creative and passionate about architecture. He is always drawing/designing buildings with any material he can find.

The way these two writings relate to our class is that this is an architecture class. The job of an architect is to understand how buildings are designed and made better. The house tour showed that we can make an apartment better without even changing its map or materials, but by adding a few things. You should know how something looks before you design it. Iggy Peck relates to our class because it is a Creative Expression class. We learn to become good writers in this class and everybody’s creative writing is appreciated in this class. Iggy Peck’s creativity was not appreciated and it was a proven mistake by his teacher.

Apartment therapy is a home and decor site, designed to inspire anyone to live a more beautiful and happy life at home. Nancy Mitchell is an author and contributor at Apartment Therapy. She is a writer and a photographer living in New York. She loves design, and loves to write about the ways we shape our homes and the ways they shape us. Nancy wrote about an apartment in NYC which is 650 square ft. It is in a building on the Upper West Side where Michelle and Jeffrey live with their two cats. The audience is primarily rich or upper class people because Upper West Side is an expensive neighborhood to live in. The accessories found in the apartment also look very expensive. The message is that we can design the space we live in the way we want such that it appeals to us. We can achieve our life goals. The couple made their apartment spacious and designed it with special pieces like the Turkish Rug and the dining table.

“Iggy Peck Architect” is by Andrea Beaty. As a kid, she loved reading. Her passion about reading made her become a good writer. This also supports that reading helps you become a good writer. She attended Southern Illinois University. The message is that when we have passion about something, we can have achievements in it. For example, Iggy Peck has passion in architecture. Iggy Peck always designs buildings with materials. Also, we should not ignore someone’s creativity and passion. The audience for this is primarily the people who don’t care for someone’s passion and creativity, or parents of creative and passionate children, and those who are creative and passionate in their goals.

This task was really good for me because I feel like it is the first time I ever did such long non-stop writing. It felt good because I knew what I will write. Moreover, it made me think about my own passion and creativity in my field “Mechanical Engineering”. I was also surprised because everything I wrote was pre-planned and I knew what to write but still I feel like I learned new things that I did not know before writing this.

In conclusion, it is important to respect everybody’s creativity and passion. When you have passion for something, you can always achieve it. We can make things better, even ourselves. Also, when you want to work on something, you should examine similar works by others and learn from their work and examine what you like and what you do not like. Such as designing a building would require to see previously designed buildings. And the concept is similar in writing, you need to view the work of other authors to become a good writer by examining their pieces of writing and learning from those.